The smartphone controlled professional coffee roaster
This UK made digital countertop micro-roaster can roast green coffee beans in 3-5 minutes. The beans are roasted using a cyclone system patented with the support of Dyson. The process is started with a push of a button on the device itself, but can be adjusted using your iPhone or Android devices. The app includes a number of different recipes you can use to change up your roast, controlling things like the temperature in your roaster, the duration of your roast, and the air flow to your beans during the roasting process.
How Does the IKAWA Offer a Simple Roasting Experience?
The most outstanding feature of the IKAWA is its judiciously designed preprogramed roasting profiles that allow the user to roast professional grade coffee with no prior knowledge. The IKAWA by no means intends to take the fun or education out of roasting coffee. The Bluetooth function of the device allows customisable roast profile control and monitoring via an app (Android & IOS) and allows users to share roast recipes with each other.
What Is the Quality of the Components and the Build? How Does It Operate?
While the aim of the IKAWA roaster is simplicity, its build is of a high quality and designed in a way that eliminates the chances of failure. The only moving part of the roaster is the fan, which can reach speeds of 22 500 RPM. The fan drives the heat from the heating element through to the roasting chamber. There is no chaff filter that can be clogged during the roasting process; the roaster simply uses air to drive out the chaff and also the beans once the roast is finished. To ensure safety, the design isolates the heat from the roasting process in order to not affect other internal components. Multiple safety checks have been conducted during the development of the hundreds of prototypes that it took to get to this final design.
The outer shell of the roaster is made from strong aluminum and the roasting process is made transparent by a quality safety glass. The consistent and accurate roasting profiles are made possible with the assistance of an ultra-sensitive A-grade platinum temperature sensor and PID controlled heating element.
The IKAWA is a sample roaster, so out of the 60g max green bean dosage you will yield about 50g of roasted coffee. This process can often be completed in as minimal time as 3 minutes.
Machine Technical Specifications
- Mains Supply: 110-130V (50/60 Hz) or 220-240 (50/60 Hz)
- CE Marked (120V and 230V)
- Capacity: 60g (green) 50g (roasted). For greater volumes, roast can be replicated within minutes.
- Power Consumption – 1500W (max)
- Temperature Control – Proportional, Integral, Differential (PID).
- Temperature Sensor – PT1000 grade A
- Integrated cyclone for chaff collection.
- Brushless fan motor: 10,000 hrs + operating life.
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 1 year warranty for manufacturing or workmanship defects.
App Technical Specifications
- Roast Time: 0 – 20 minutes: sample roasts typically take 3 minutes
- Operating System: iOS.
- Roast Points: up to 20 temperature and 10 airflow points.
- Updatable Roast Profile: roast profiles can be updated during a roast.
- Data export via to excel or csv file for data analysis
- Share Roast Profiles: profiles can be shared using e-mail, text message or twitter.